My love affair with quinoa continues. In fact I have to say I’m becoming a little bit addicted to this amazingly healthy seed as it’s been getting quite a workout in my kitchen lately. And much to my surprise my husband seems to be enjoying quinoa too, which is a definite win as I’ll be using it in a lot more recipes. So expect more quinoa recipes to come!
My favourite roasted butternut pumpkin and red quinoa salad has been replaced with a more summery Zucchini and Lemon Quinoa Pilaf. It’s absolutely delicious, and I can’t wait to have the left overs for lunch today!
Light, bright, and with a summery burst of lemon that I so love, this Zucchini and Lemon Quinoa Pilaf is set to become one of my summer favourites. It’s wonderful hot or cold, and leftovers are wonderful packaged up to take to work for a healthy lunch. It would also make a fantastic side dish, especially at a summer barbecue.
So tell me, as we head towards the start of summer here in Australia, what salads are you enjoying at the moment?
- 150g of white quinoa
- 250mls of vegetable stock
- 2 small zucchini, julienned
- 2 spring onions, sliced
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tbs of olive oil
- 1 tbs of mint, chopped
- 1 tbs of parsley, chopped
- 2 tsp of dill, chopped
- ¼ cup of ricotta
- 1 tbs of slivered almonds, toasted
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place the quinoa in a fine mesh sieve and place under cold running water for a few minutes. Use your fingers to toss the grains about to ensure they are well rinsed. Drain and place into a saucepan along with the stock and place over a high heat. Bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low and leave to simmer for 15 minutes, or until tender.
- Fluff up the quinoa with a fork and add the zucchini and spring onions, stir through, and replace the lid on the saucepan and leave to steam while you prepare the dressing.
- Combine the lemon juice, lemon zest, olive oil, salt and pepper in a small bowl and whisk to combine.
- Remove the lid form the saucepan and add the dressing and chopped herbs and mix through. Check the seasoning and adjust as necessary. Divide between 2 bowls and crumble the fresh ricotta over the top and slivered almonds.