The other day I wanted to make muffins, but I wanted to create a breakfast style muffin. Orange, Honey and Cinnamon muffins were the end result. As I wanted the muffins to be something you could enjoy at breakfast I wanted it to be healthier than your averange muffin. To try to achieve this I used wholemeal flour, quinoa flakes (for a bit of protein) and reduced the amount of sugar, because the last thing you want for your first meal of the day is a massive sugar hit.
I’m not usually a fan of breakfast cakes or pastries, in fact my usual breakfast is wholegrain toast with vegemite and a cup of tea, but I was really pleased with how the muffins turned out. They were exactly as I envisaged – delicious without being overly sweet and they were also quite filling too and are just the thing for a breakfast on the go.
- 1¾ cups of wholemeal flour
- ½ cup of quinoa flakes
- 1½ teaspoons of cinnamon
- 1 egg
- ½ cup of sugar
- ½ cup of honey
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- ½ teaspoon of baking soda
- 110ml of vegetable oil
- zest and juice of 2 oranges
- 1 cup of buttermilk
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees celsius (375 Fahrenheit) and line a muffin tin with liners.
- Combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, quinoa and cinnamon in a bowl and whisk to combine.
- In a separate bowl combine the egg, buttermilk, oil, honey, orange zest and juice and whisk to combine and add to the flour and mix until just combined.
- Divide the mixture between the prepared muffin liners, filling them until almost full. Sprinkle the top with a little extra quinoa and bake for 20 minutes or until the top is golden brown.