These soft buttery Lemon Brulee Cookies are topped with a thin slice of fresh lemon and then baked, with the final touch being to sprinkle the baked cookies with sugar and whip out your kitchen torch and brulee away.
While I’d love to take credit for this idea, I actually came across it on Pinterest, although despite coming across a pin with a photo of the cookies the source recipe took me some time to track down. As soon as I saw the cookies on Pinterest I just had to make them. Being a lemon fiend, and a lover of the crunchy sugary topping on creme brulee I couldn’t wait to give them a try.
If you want to make these cookies yourself here are a couple of notes to keep in mind. For the lemons, use firm lemons, as they will be less juicy and less likely to make your cookies soggy. Also, slice the lemons an hour or so before baking and leave them to dry between two sheets of paper towel. And if where you live is humid, like it is here in Brisbane, I’d only bake these cookies in batches you are going to consume straight away because the sugar topping will melt and not stay crisp. Which is sadly the issue I had. Despite this however, the cookies are still delicious, and something a little bit different to serve with your afternoon cup of tea or coffee.
So tell me, do you try recipes you’ve discovered on Pinterest? Oh, and if you’re on Pinterest why not follow me here.
- 150g (5.25 ounces) of butter
- 100g (3.5 ounces) of icing (powdered) sugar
- 1 egg
- zest of 1 lemon
- juice of ½ a lemon
- 200g (7 ounces) of almond meal
- 200g (7 ounces) of plain (all purpose) flour
- 3 lemons, sliced in paper thin slices and dried on paper towel
- Beat the butter and sugar together in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment until smooth and creamy. Add the lemon zest and beat until combined and fragrant. Add the egg and mix to combine before adding the almond meal, flour and lemon juice. Mix until just combined.
- Remove the mixture from the bowl and divide into two and wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 3 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 180 celsius (360 Fahrenheit) and line a baking tray with parchment or a silicone baking mat. Remove the dough from the refrigerator and slice into 4mm thick cookies. Press lemon slices into the tops of the cookies and bake for 12 to 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and sprinkle the top of the lemon with sugar and using a cooking torch brûlée the sugar until golden. Set aside to cool