According to my husband “This cake is the shiz!”.
When he said it several times, in between mouthfuls of this Gluten Free Banana Cake with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting, and then promptly put aside his empty plate informing me not to put it in the dishwasher because he was keeping it out to have more cake later, I knew he really liked it.
Then when he had his second piece later and asked me when I was making this cake again, as he made it clear this cake wouldn’t last long, I knew he really, really liked this banana cake. In fact we both liked it so much I have another one in the oven now :)
It’s good. Really good. What’s more, if you are on a gluten free diet this is a cake you can eat! Made with a mixture of almond and hazelnut meal, 3 bananas that are so overripe they are almost completely black, topped with a creamy cinnamon cream cheese frosting, and salted honey roasted pecans, it’s a cake that is equally at home served over a relaxed afternoon coffee as it is brought out at the end of a dinner party.
So if you have some overripe bananas sitting on your kitchen bench I can’t think of a better way to put them to good use. :D
- 3 large overripe bananas
- 5 large eggs
- 1 heaped teaspoon of baking powder
- ½ teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
- 175g (6.25 ounces) of ground almonds (almond meal)
- 75g (2.5 ounces) of hazelnut meal
- 220g (1/2 pound) of caster sugar
- 1 tsp of ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp of ground nutmeg
- SALTED HONEY ROASTED PECANS:
- ½ cup of pecans
- 1 tbsp of honey
- ¼ tsp of sea salt
- 1 tsp of boiling water
- CINNAMON CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- 250g (1/2 pound) of cream cheese, at room temperature
- 50g (1¾ ounces) of butter, at room temperature
- 100g (3.5 ounces) of icing sugar, sifted
- 1 tsp of ground cinnamon
- Grease a 20cm springform pan and preheat the oven to 180 Celsius (350 Fahrenheit).
- Place the bananas in a food processor and process until smooth. Add the remaining cake ingredients and process to combine. Pour the batter into the springform pan and bake for 40 minutes to 1 hour. Check the cake after 30 minutes as you may need to cover it with foil to prevent burning before the cake is cooked through. Remove from the oven and let the cake cool completely in the tin before removing.
- While the cake is cooling keep the oven on at 180 celsius (350 fahrenheit) and make the honey roasted pecans. Combine the pecans, honey, sea salt and boiling water in a bowl and mix to combine. Place on a tray lined with baking paper and bake for 15 minutes, stirring about half way through to make sure they are evenly cooked. Remove the tray from the oven and set aside to cool.
- To make the frosting combine the butter and cream cheese in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment and beat until smooth and creamy. Add the icing sugar and cinnamon and beat for another 5 minutes, or until pale and fluffy.
- Spread the frosting over the cooled cake and top with chopped roasted pecans.