Friday’s are wonderful things. They signal the end of the week as we welcome the weekend. The weekend is a time to relax and enjoy before beginning the week all over again. So, to celebrate the weekend, I thought I would start a new series on Delicieux to celebrate the Friday’s and the weekend, called Fun Friday’s.
For my first post for Fun Friday I wanted to share one of my favourite cocktails – a French Martini. This is a drink my boyfriend often makes for me to celebrate the end of the week.
While I’m sure we’ve all heard of Martini’s, “shaken, not stirred” thanks to James Bond, you may not have heard of a French Martini. A French Martini is a deliciously tart and sweet combination of fresh pineapple juice, Vodka and Chambord.
Chambord is a delicious liqueur made from black raspberries, honey, vanilla and herbs and has been available since 1685. Interestingly it was the Chambord company who invented the French Martini, as part of a global advertising campaign for the liqueur. It was obviously successful, given the popularity of the drink today.
While everyone has different tastes, I will share the way I like my French Martini. Do you like French Martini’s? How do you make yours?
Delicieux’s French Martini
- 30mls/1 oz Vanilla Vodka
- 30mls/ 1 oz Chambord
- 45mls/ 1.5 oz fresh pineapple juice
- In a cocktail shaker add the Vanilla Vodka, Chambord and pineapple juice along with a couple of cubes of ice. Shake vigorously. The vigorous shaking will froth the pineapple juice and give you a nice foamy topping to the cocktail.
- Strain into the martini glass and serve with a wedge of fresh pineapple or a couple of fresh raspberries.
For comparison sake, I’ve included below Chambord’s French Martini recipe. You might like to try both and let me know what you think ;)
Classic French Martini
Recipe from Chambord
- 50 mL Finlandia® Vodka
- 15 mL Chambord Liqueur
- 100 mL Pineapple Juice
- Shake ingredients with ice and strain into martini glass.
- Garnish with raspberries.