Cookies and Cream Cheesecake Cupcakes, sounds like a mouthful and it certainly is. Albiet a sinful, decadent and deliciously messy mouthful.
I’m not really sure what inspired these Cookies and Cream Cheesecake Cupcakes, but for some reason, I couldn’t get the idea of cupcakes frosted with cheesecake instead of frosting out of my head. What could be bad about combining cookies and cream, cheesecake and cupcakes together? Nothing!
So to start with we have my all time favourite chocolate cake, Ina Garten’s Beatty’s chocolate cake. It’s dark, sticky and deliciously chocolatey. Then, we have not just any cheesecake frosting but a cookies and cream cheesecake frosting. Finally, and perhaps this is gilding the lily but I couldn’t help myself, it’s all topped off with a thick chocolate fudge sauce. Sinful, delicious and just SO good that it’s not even 10am and I am contemplating having a second Cookies and Cream Cheesecake Cupcake!
Make these Cookies and Cream Cheesecake Cupcakes and your children, husband, boyfriend, girlfriend or significant other will love you forever.
- 220g of plain flour
- 400g of sugar
- 85g of cocoa powder
- 2 tsp of baking soda
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- 1 cup of buttermilk
- 125ml vegetable oil
- 2 extra large eggs
- 1 cup of hot water (or freshly brewed coffee if you prefer)
- COOKIES & CREAM CHEESECAKE FROSTING:
- 2 cup whipping cream
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- 230g (8 oz) cream cheese, slightly softened
- 120g of chocolate biscuits
- CHOCOLATE FUDGE SAUCE:
- 125ml cream
- ¼ cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 tbs honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 15g butter
- 100g 70% cocoa chocolate, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 175 Celsius (350 Fahrenheit) and line two 12 hole cupcake trays with paper liners.
- Combine the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment and mix on low speed until combined. In a large jug add the buttermilk, oil, eggs, and vanilla and whisk to combine. Turn the mixer on to it’s slowest speed and gradually add to the dry ingredients. Then add the hot water and mix until just to combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared liners and bake for 15 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean. Cool the cupcakes in the pans for 20 minutes, then place onto a cooling rack and cool completely before frosting.
- To make the cookies and cream cheesecake frosting add the chocolate biscuits to a food processor and process to create relatively fine crumbs. Keep in mind that the cheesecake mixture will be piped so make sure there are no large chunks, if so remove. Place the cream into a large bowl of an electric mixer and beat using a paddle attachment on high speed whilst gradually adding half the sugar. Beat until soft peaks form before switching the mixer off and adding the cream cheese. Beat again while gradually adding the rest of the sugar until stiff peaks form. Add the crushed biscuits and fold through. Place in the refrigerator while you make the chocolate fudge sauce.
- To make the fudge sauce combine the cream, brown sugar, honey and butter in a saucepan over a medium heat. Bring to a boil and reduce to low and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and add the chocolate and vanilla extract and whisk until smooth.
- Fit a piping bag with a star shaped tip and fill with the cookies and cream cheesecake frosting. Pipe onto the cooled cupcakes before drizzling with the chocolate fudge sauce. Refrigerate until ready to serve and refrigerate any remaining cupcakes in a sealed container for 3 days.