I love these cookies, they are so much fun. I love the brightly coloured smarties and how they contrast with the dark chocolate cookie. The cookies have an addictive chewy texture (which is even more wonderful when they are slightly warm), making it difficult to stop at one cookie.
These gorgeous cookies are perfect for children and big kids alike as they illicit smiles when they see the cookies which only widens when they eat them.
I based this recipe on the chewy chocolate cookie recipe found in 500 cookies – the only cookie compendium you’ll ever need by Philippa Vanstone.
Chewy Chocolate Smartie Cookies
150g of dark chocolate, broken into pieces
50g of butter, cut into cubes
50g of plain flour
1/4 tsp of baking powder
250g of caster sugar
1 tsp of vanilla essence
100g of dark chocolate, chopped
340g bag of smarties
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius and line a baking tray with baking paper.
2. Melt the chocolate pieces and butter in the microwave or one the stove top and allow to cool.
3. In a mixer, beat together the eggs, sugar and vanilla essence until thick and pale.
4. Pour the melted chocolate into the beaten eggs and sugar and stir through.
5. Sift in the flour and baking powder and stir through before adding the chopped chocolate and mix until combined.
6. Using an ice cream scoop, scoop the mixture onto the lined baking trays. Without flattening the mixture too much, press smarties into the top of the cookies.
7. Bake in the oven for 8 to 10 minutes and cool on the tray before transferring to a cooling rack. If you put the cookies onto the cooling rack while hot they will become marked by the wires from the rack.