What do you do with an abundance of carrots? That was the question I asked myself recently. Thanks to our farm box deliveries we’ve been inundated with carrots. Carrot cake is always an option of course, and in fact I did make one using an unusual recipe, but the results were less than steller so in the rubbish bin went the cake. The search for a great carrot recipe continued until I stumbled onto the simple idea of carrot fritters.
I’d made corn fritters recently, which were delicious, but as carrots can be quite sweet and intense, I wasn’t sure how carrot fritters would turn out. But they were fantastic and my meat loving fiance absolutely loved them. So much so I’ve made these twice in a week. These carrot fritters are so quick and easy to make too, especially if you have a food processor with a grater attachment, which is a great thing because I’ve been feeling exhausted lately (for reasons I won’t go into) so spending hours cooking isn’t something I’ve not been doing much of lately.
Serve the carrot fritters with a wedge of lemon and natural yoghurt as well as a delicious salad, or two, and you have a fantastic lunch or dinner on those hot summer days. They can also be served cold, making them the perfect picnic food. You can also make mini carrot fritters to serve at a party. I’ll be sharing one of the delicious salads I’ve been serving with these fritters on Friday, so keep an eye out for that!
For those of you in Brisbane, the Good Food Show starts on Friday and runs through until Sunday. I’m really excited and looking forward to the show this year. We’ll be going on Saturday, and while I’m not looking forward to the crowds, I can’t wait to check out all of the food and wine from the wonderful producers. Will you be going to the Good Food Show?
- 6 large carrots, peeled and coarsely grated
- 6 spring onions, finely chopped
- 1 tsp of ground cumin
- 1 tsp of ground coriander
- ½ cup of fresh coriander (cilantro), chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 eggs, beaten
- ½ cup of flour
- ½ tsp of sea salt
- 2 tablespoons of oil
- Combine the carrot, spring onion, ground cumin, ground coriander, fresh coriander, salt and garlic in a bowl and mix to combine. Add the beaten eggs and flour and mix until just combined.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over a medium to high heat and add spoonfuls of the mixture and use a spatula to flatten the mixture into discs. Cook until golden on each side, roughly 2 minutes, before draining on paper towel and placing in a warm oven to keep warm while you cook the remaining fritters.
- Serve with a wedge of lemon, a crunchy salad and a spoonful of natural yoghurt.